A warning has been issued by Kolkata Police Cyber Cell for WhatsApp Users due to the complaints placed by a student & a businessman in the city.
The Online scam began with imitating Facebook, including adversaries accessing victims’ FB profiles & contacting their friends via Messenger.
The fraudsters showed that they were offering Yoga Classes and were trying to deceive the contacts on the pretext of joining the sessions. On 21 June, “World Yoga Day,” such cases were raised and came into the spotlight.
Here’s how the scam works:
- The scammers contacted the victim via contact lists to invite them to join Yoga Classes.
- They shared a link and told the victim to click on it to join.
- After clicking, the victims were asked to share a 6-digit OTP.
- They were not aware that it was a WhatsApp Verification Code.
- Through sharing that code with the fraudster, users lost their control over WhatsApp Accounts.
- Once accessed the WhatsApp Account, fraudsters started imitating the victim. Then they asked for money from the victim’s contacts.
- For that, they gave excuses related to emergencies with promises of paying later.
Moreover, they can use the targeted accounts for malicious purposes. In a few cases, adversaries blackmail their victims and even exploit them by convincing them to invest in cryptocurrency to get access to their WhatsApp Accounts again. Now what are the chances of surviving in such situations, and what is the solution to cure yourself?
What should you do?
To fight against this type of hack, Kolkata Police alarmed netizens to not share such messages with their contacts that ask them for a WhatsApp Code.
WhatsApp Getting Hacked! If you receive such messages on your WhatsApp from an unknown number (even if it’s known), don’t share such messages further to protect yourself and others from being victimized.
Adversaries are using this method to access your WhatsApp Account. We have got several complaints & need your cooperation. With that, they shared a screenshot of the fraud message where a WhatsApp Code appeared for sure.
Suraj Koli is a content specialist with expertise in Cybersecurity and B2B Domains. He has provided his skills for News4Hackers Blog and Craw Security. Moreover, he has written content for various sectors Business, Law, Food & Beverage, Entertainment, and many others. Koli established his center of the field in a very amazing scenario. Simply said, he started his career selling products, where he enhanced his skills in understanding the product and the point of view of clients from the customer’s perspective, which simplified his journey in the long run. It makes him an interesting personality among other writers. Currently, he is a regular writer at Craw Security.
Kindly read other news articles: